After I had been working for about a year, I started feeling the need for an MBA. My educational background did not equip me to handle all situations I came across in my professional life. Besides helping me to handle such situations more effectively, an MBA degree would also help me gather a more holistic view of the business world rather than just rely on the snippets of information dropped by others. Also, I felt that my learning curve had stagnated and I needed to do something to nudge it northward again. I decided to take the GMAT and seriously considered higher education.
The work at our firm is project driven (understandably, being a consulting firm) and subsequently is rarely a 9 to 5 affair. Additionally since the office was quite small at that time, establishing a steady routine was exceeding difficult (it’s more difficult to escape your boss’ eye in a small office as compared to a large one). This, I felt was of utmost importance for my preparations. I decided to take time off – a month at that.
I wanted to avoid the trials and tribulations associated with living on one’s own i.e. I did not want to cook/ clean/ pay bills and wanted to avoid parties and outings. I decided to move to my parents’ in
After a bit of trouble regarding the sanctioning of my leave, I moved to
Luckily, I happened to speak to a few people who set me in the right direction for my preparations. Also, I attended some MBA fairs which coincided with my study leave. These helped me shorten my b-school research considerably. I got hold of plenty of computer based tests which I put to good use later. I also utilized online forums and even social networking sites by interacting with other prospective test takers and even downloading free stuff off the internet.
Initially my strategy was pretty simple. I would attempt blocks of 30 questions from the Official Guides (vol. 10 & 11) in each of the sections and at the end of each block check my answers. Subsequently, I put in more time and effort at sections in which I consistently scored less. I followed this strategy till about 2 weeks from the exam by which time I was getting a little tense. I had expected my daily study times to go up from the 3-4 hours everyday to substantially longer times, but that wasn’t happening. I despaired at the thought of having taken that much trouble for the exam and eventually screwing it up.
I decided to ding the study method all together and instead made up my mind to take practice tests everyday. I did not score particularly well at these but with that change of approach, motivation (or rather, the lack of it) ceased to be a problem. I could easily write and correct a test in a day and still go on to study for some time. That was, by far the most valuable lesson I learnt from that period.
The last practice tests I took in the days preceding the exam date were the 2 tests provided in the PowerPrep package. I scored well in excess of 700 at those so I knew I would do okay at the actual test.
On the actual day of the exam, I did not prepare at all. Instead I busied myself with packing as I was leave for
The exam itself was uneventful. I utilized the 10 minute break in between the verbal and quantitative section to unwind. I discovered that I was one of three people from my firm taking the test that day as I met a colleague of mine at the center who was due to take the test after me. My lack of AWA practice told but I was satisfied with the rest of my score. As for the school selection, I intend to apply to 3 of the 5 schools I picked at the time of the test.
As it turns out, that decision to take GMAT early was a really good decision. When other applicants are fretting over GMAT, I can spend my time researching for my application. This should enable me to come up with a better application and possibly even offset some of the weaknesses in my application.
And you @#$%^, how about some comments this time?
4 comments:
Good start dude...wish you all the very best for your career...keep the motivation going...cheers
nice post !!
A typical gmatters story...I think we have a talking point at work :)
It would nice if a add a little speech and thank people who stood by you during that 'tough' time!! :o)
All the best boy!! Hope to see you in a good uni next yr!
Yes, we want a speech! And I am pretty sure that with all the writing for your applications, the 'possibilities' of doling out a good oral evocation and appreciation of your true supporters and well-wishers would be countless but easy. And it is this goodwill that you will earn that will make your stay at the good uni that will win you even more worthwhile! ;)
Post a Comment